Saturday, October 6, 2007

Gimme More Video



Britney Spears's video for Gimme More is building a lot of buzz, not only because it's Britney, bitch, but also because America has been following the drama of her "everyday" life. Despite the devastating VMA performance and mounds of awful publicity, Gimme More is a triumph of pop music even if Britney isn't. It's hot right now, yo.

I'm going to insert a mea culpa in here. I originally said that I did not like the song, but oh how it has grown on me. I turn it up everytime I hear the first beats.

With it's recent debut on TRL and a host of other places, like iTunes, it seemed fitting to review the video. We see Britney in her usual environment as of late--a club. We see her drinking with friends and watching a pole dancer, who turns out to be Britney too! Is this art imitating life?

Let's talk about the dancing. It's no VMA performance. It looks good, but there's a lot of camera cuts and you realize Britney really isn't doing that much. There's no breakdown dance routine, a crushing blow to my enthusiasm for the video. In fact, the video actually seems more suggestive than sexual, if one disregards the revealing dress code.

And there's a part where Britney actually smiles. When was the last time we saw that?


Final Note
HATE

2 comments:

Jeremiah said...

I was worried that you were going to put "LOVE" for this one, but I'm glad that we're on the same page on this one. So far you only have either "LOVE" or "HATE" but what if its somewhere in between? Do you always feel that strongly about music?

J Yo said...

I try to only pick things that I feel strongly about. What's the value in me saying something is just so so?