Sunday, September 23, 2007

Paper Planes
M.I.A.
Lyrics

Anticipation Children's voices, gunshots, and a cash register ring harmoniously together. This is by far one of the most unusual combinations that comes together better than peanut butter and chocolate.
Vocals M.I.A.'s voice is great and provides much depth--something the song survives on.
Music As mentioned, the sound effects in the chorus combine to actually sound like part of the melody. It's the centerpiece set upon a dreamy background.
Verses Rap-packed lyrics can make the message easy to miss, but it provides content for multiple listenings.
Chorus I can't spoil it here. You have to hear it yourself. I can't normally say that, but in this case, you just must.
Hook Obviously what you have to hear in this song. My greatest sadness is that you can't sing along with the gunshots.
Breakdown Steadiness in sound with stoicism in voice drive sincerity home.
Lyrics Try this on for size:
We pack and deliver like ups trucks Already going hell Just pumping that gas
Hit Potential
None. Could you imagine a radio station playing gunshots? Just the thought makes me laugh.
Final Note
LOVE

3 comments:

Jeremiah said...

I can easily see someone listening to this song in their car and making their hand into a gun to "shoot" during the chorus. The kids and sound effects don't mesh as well for me, but I'm not the pop music blogger here, you are. I can drop some knowledge on you in this particular case though: the beat in this song is from "Straight to Hell" by The Clash, one of my favorite songs, and it makes this song infinitely more listenable for me.

Anonymous said...

Are there words being said under the gunshot sounds? I thought I could hear something but couldn't make it out. Does anyone know?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.